Official Blog of Phaze Books, Digital First Publisher of Romance!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Time to Give Thanks

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and thousands of families will be gathering together for the holiday. Whenever I think of this special day, I always imagine delicious food, good company (not to mention football), and laughter shared between loved ones.

Here in Greece, the fourth Thursday of November is just like any other day. People get up and go to work or school, and they carry on with their daily lives. No turkey and dressing, no days off. Of all the adjustments I've ever had to make concerning living in a foreign country, this was the hardest. This is *the* time of year when I'm the most homesick and lonely, Thanksgiving Day.

But... I have so much to be thankful for. No matter where I am, either in the States or Timbuktu, I carry the spirit of the holiday with me as a reminder of everything I have going for me and the fact that things could be a lot worse.

My reasons to be thankful this year, in no particular order:

I'm in good health.

I have people who love me and wish me well.

I have a roof over my head and food in my belly.

My family is healthy.

Good friends.

I'm starting a career doing something I love.

With a list like that, it's impossible to be sad for long. I'll think over them as I bake tomorrow's apple pie to experience a taste of home. :O)

What do you have to be thankful for?

2 comments:

victoriablisse said...

When ever I'm feeling low, stressed and sad I think about what I've got in my life to be thankful for and there's always so much that I end up smiling again.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Aurora Black said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, love. :)