Official Blog of Phaze Books, Digital First Publisher of Romance!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Christmas Baking -what are your favourites?


Well Ladies and gentlemen I've just finished a batch of spicy-nice gingerbread snowmen and it got me to thinking about Christmas food.

What are your favourite Christmas treats? My personal favourite is Christmas cake baked by myself. It's rich and fruity and a lttle bit boozy -it's Christmas in a mouthful. (pictured to the right)

Food features alot in my writing because I love food and I love describing it -I think it's a wonderful sensual pleasure. "Proving Santa Exists" is filled with food imagery, especially mince pies.

I'll be announcing a competiton later where part of the prize will be those recipes from "Proving Santa Exists"


For now, here's my gingerbread recipe to get you started!

Ingredients:
350g/12oz plain flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 level tsp ground ginger
120g/4oz butter
170g/6oz soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
1 egg, beaten

1.Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger together. Rub in the butter.
2.Add the sugar and mix well.
3. Warm the golden syrup slightly and stir into the mixture with the egg to make a pliable dough - add a little milk if the mixture is too dry.
4. Knead until smooth and roll out onto a floured surface to 1/8th inch thick
5. Cut out your shapes and place onto a greased baking sheet, keeping shapes well apart. If you want to make currant eyes add them now.
6. Bake at 375F, 190C, Gas mark 5 for around 10 mins. Once baked, cool on the rack before decorating . (leave on tray for a minute before trying to remove them)
7 Decorate. Which i do by making icing (just icing sugar and water mixed to a paste) then I blob it on my biscuits and stick smarties or M&M's on to the icing blobs

3 comments:

robynl said...

Yummy looking cake and the gingerbread sound yummy. I have the ingredients for baking but haven't started.

robynl said...

My favorite Christmas treats are a White German Christmas cake my Mom always made and I plan on giving it a try this year being she has passed away. I'll surprise my siblings if it turns out and present them with some.
I love all sweets-squares, pies, cake, trifle(I make this almost every year).

Alessia Brio said...

Gimme nuts! Seriously, though. Christmas goodies are all about the nuts to me. Nut roll, glazed nuts, pecan tarts -- all favorites.